Friday, 21 May 2010

ELF Review - Cheap and Cheerful or just Cheap

I have resisted the temptation to buy any kind of ELF product due to the fact that I anticipated it to be rubbish to be quite honest. For those who are unfamiliar with ELF it is a very cheap online make up store. 

Now I am no make up snob, I just like to know that the products I buy and use will do what they say and should do and I like to know that I'm not going to experience any kind of skin condition whilst using them. 

To escape their teeny bopper market ELF launched a 'Studio' professional range which has products not dissimilar to the MAC studio range and the packaging is definately a much cheaper take on NARS. But all that aside i bit the bullet and placed an order...eeeeeeekkkk!

My reasoning behind scraping the make up barrel was due to feeling uber guilty about the amount of money I spend on cosmetics. I have been making a conscious effort to try and find a cheaper product which does the same job.

So here goes, I bought:

  • Studio high definition loose powder ...hoping this would be just like MAC Studio finishing powder
  • All over colour stick (Golden Peach)...wanted this to be NARS the multiple
  • Lip gloss (Joy)....just because a girl can never have enough glosses
  • Studio Mineral eye shadow Primer....hoped this would be a dupe for Urban decay primer potion
  • Studio Shimmer Palette..I anticipated that this would do the job of Benefit High Beam and Moon Beam 


THE REVIEW!!!! Dun Dun dunnnnn.....


I was very pleasantly surprised!! 

The High definition powder looks exactly like the MAC product, a scary bright white. BUT it comes with a lovely soft puff, it's easy to apply and the results are fabulous. It eliminates shine without that horrible matte look that powder usually gives. It sets foundation perfectly and the tub is quite big, like the MAC product you only need a teeny tiny bit, best of all it was £6. It is essentially a setting powder so if you are wanting to conceal blemishes then this would not be for you. On the whole wow! 

Next, the all over colour stick, hmmmm it's certainly no multiple but it may have it's uses. It would be ok as a highlighter possibly when I'm more tanned or as colour wash on the eye. It certainly doesn't deserve any rave reviews. The packaging is naff aswel but for about £2 it is an ok buy. I'll let it fester with my other 'I don't love you' products.

Lip gloss...HORRID, VILE, RANCID. No pigment, toxic smell, disgusting taste, sticky texture...in the bin!!!

Moving on to the eye primer. I wanted to give it the ultimate test. Shopping in Manchester city centre, on a Saturday, in the baking sunshine, after a Primark Haul, with an 8 month old baby. Now that is some test! 4 hours later my eyes were still as when I left the house in the morning. It is a really good product, it eliminates creasing even with cream shadows. At first I though it was a bit 'wet' but when it blends into the eye it does leave a residue which seems to grab the colour and hold on for dear life. Thumbs up!

The shimmer Palette was a whopping winner, it comes with four shades (not very clear on the swatches due to my novice skills on photography). The shades are actually pearly white, peach, gold and pink. Swatched in order of the palette. I was so pleased with these babies I have used them everyday since getting them. They can be used anywhere. Great as a highlighter (yes they do give Benefit a run for their money), fab on the eye for a fresh summer look (no creases), in the corner of the eye, brow bone, cupids bow, lips, decolletage, shoulders...you get the picture. I will definately stock up on this, I have already dented it after 
only 5 days with my eager consumption. Love it. Also comes with a cute lil brush which is useful unlike most cheap brushes. It is the perfect size for highlighting your cupids bow and inner corner of the eye for a pow wide awake look (essential after 4 hours sleep). 



To wrap up this rather long blog, I hope I've not bored you, I spent under £20 including delivery. I'm not exactly sure how much each product was but I know the most expensive was the High def powder at £6....bargain!

I think ELF is probably a line which has some great products and some darned revolting products. Maybe it's a case of trial and error. Does anyone have any ELF recommendations for me to try, or some ELF Hell No's to warn me about? 





4 comments:

  1. Great review.. i hate sticky lipgloss.. come to think of it i hate lipgloss. I am a lipstick lover. Anywho thanks for this i am now going to buy the High definition powder! Thanks for the advice on that...

    :D x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My next post is actually going to be an ELF Studio Line haul! I played with some products already and I definitely recommend their powder brush as well as their blushes :)

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hit and miss, generally most of the standard products are so shocking you might as well throw your money away but the studio line makeup and brushes can have some little wonders in there. I must admit, I would rather browse boots and spend that little more money on something Ill use over and over, rather than hope for the best. x

    http://ihaveamakeupproblem.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, must admit I had somewhat low expectations also, but I've since read so many positive reviews of E.L.F products I'm eager to try them myself. I'm about to make my first order in few days :)

    I quite like your style of writing, so I'm a follower now :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, Make my day xxx